Washington CBD Law
Washington opted to legalize the production and sale of hemp and CBD products following the Agricultural Act of 2018 (“2018 Farm Bill”), which legalized CBD and hemp production nationally by removing hemp and its derivatives (Cannabis sativa-L containing not more than 0.3% THC) from the Controlled Substances Act. The Washington State Department of Agriculture (“WSDA”) is the state agency that regulates hemp and CBD production and sale within the state.
With the advent of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp and CBD are also regulated by federal agencies, including the United States Department of Agriculture (“USDA”) (regulating the cultivation and sale of hemp and CBD); the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) (regulating the packaging, labeling, marketing, and quality requirements of hemp and CBD); and the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) (regulating misrepresentations to consumers). The USDA approved the WSDA’s hemp and CBD plan for Washington in 2020.
Washington state and national legalization of hemp and CBD opened the door for the production and sale of CBD products. However, multiple regulations still limit what CBD businesses can and cannot do with their products both in and outside of Washington. Of the states that have opted to establish a CBD system under the 2018 Farm Bill, Washington in particular, has created a regulatory system that leaves many CBD business owners struggling to stay compliant with the various laws and regulations.
Our Washington CBD attorneys specialize in analyzing and evaluating relevant state and federal laws and regulations applicable to Washington state CBD businesses.
We stay up-to-date on the ever-changing state and federal CBD regulations in order to best assist our clients with legal sales and distribution of CBD products. We also ensure that we’re always aware of nationwide trends to ensure you are able to market your products across the country.
We offer a full suite of legal support to our CBD clients, including:
- Obtaining and maintaining licensure for growing, processing, and selling CBD products at the state and national level;
- Complying with state and federal regulations, including FDA labeling compliance for CBD products, FTC compliance, WSDA compliance, and USDA compliance;
- Assisting with starting, developing, or selling your CBD business, including drafting and negotiating contracts, business formation, and protection of intellectual property;
- CBD litigation;
- Advocating on your behalf against FDA, WSDA, or USDA complaints or violations; and
- Keeping you apprised of what is legally expected of you as the state and federal regulations continue to change.
Our aim is to take the headache out of CBD law for our clients. You know what you’re doing on your end, so let us assist you with our expertise and guidance on ours.
We have an office in Seattle, WA with many experienced CBD and cannabis attorneys on our team who are ready to tackle anything you need. Whether it’s entering into CBD litigation or just ensuring correct licensure and compliance, we’re here to help. Contact us today to discuss your situation with one of our Washington CBD attorneys!