Though Oregon was one of the first states to allow the sale and production of industrial hemp following the passage of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (“2014 Farm Bill”) as regulated by the Oregon Department of Agriculture (“ODA”), which allowed for the clinical study of CBD, navigating regulatory compliance in the state is still no easy feat.
The passage of the Agricultural Act of 2018 (“2018 Farm Bill”) legalized CBD and hemp production nationally by removing hemp and its derivatives (cannabis sativa containing not more than 0.3% THC) from the Controlled Substances Act, thus allowing the national sale and distribution of hemp and CBD as regulated by the US Department of Agriculture (“USDA”). While the federal legality of hemp and CBD is great for the fortitude of Oregon’s emerging industry, it has also lead to a patchwork quilt of regulation which can be difficult to manage on your own.
In addition to the USDA and the ODA, both the Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) and the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) now have oversight authority over hemp and CBD. Though the industry is still awaiting regulations for how hemp and CBD are treated by the FDA, including labeling requirements, Gleam Law can help you follow current best practices.
Because of the relative infancy of the legal hemp and CBD market in Oregon and the United States, the changing nature of the requirements, and the intersection of regulations between multiple state and federal agencies, operating a compliant hemp or CBD business can seem somewhat daunting. Our job is to assist you with your legal needs so that you can focus on “growing” your hemp or CBD business.
Our hemp and CBD attorneys specialize in a wide variety of business and regulatory support for hemp and CBD businesses. We offer a full suite of legal support to our hemp and CBD clients, including:
- Obtaining and maintaining licensure for growing, processing, and selling hemp or CBD products at the state and national level;
- Complying with state and federal regulations, including FDA labeling compliance for hemp and CBD products, FTC compliance, ODA compliance, and USDA compliance;
- Assisting with starting, developing, or selling your hemp or CBD business, including drafting and negotiating contracts, business formation, and protection of intellectual property;
- CBD and hemp litigation;
- Advocating on your behalf against FDA, ODA, or USDA complaints or violations; and
- Keeping you apprised of what is legally expected of you and your business as the state and federal regulations continue to change.
Our aim is to take some of the headache out of hemp and CBD for our clients. You know what you’re doing on your end, let us assist you with our expertise and guidance on ours.
Contact us today to work with our Portland cannabis attorneys. The Gleam Law team is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to CBD laws in Oregon, and we can act as your guide and advocate as you navigate the evolving CBD legal landscape. Whether you’re looking to obtain a license to grow, ensure you’re in compliance with state and federal regulations or negotiate a new business contract, we’re on your side. We have many expert CBD and cannabis lawyers in our Portland, OR office who are available to assist you.